George Brown born_________died Feb. 1844, age? George and his wife came to Tompkins Co., about 1812 or a little later. They came with the Ostrander family. Probate records, Tompkins Co. Court House. Gives the following record on George:
George Brown of Dryden, NY., Died Feb. 1844, No will
Son, David BROWN, Petitioner;
dau. Maria, w/o Lester SMITH;
sons, Elias BROWN; Israel BROWN; Robert BROWN;
daus., Hannah w/o John VAYMILLER; Nancy, w/o George BELLIS;
son, John BROWN, of Chemung Co.;
son, Henry BROWN of Ill.;
dau., Catherine w/o Wm. VAN SICKLE.
Married Rebecca Ostrander daughter of Elias & Rebecca (VanEtten) Ostrander was born
Rebecca and George are buried in Robertson Cemetery, Dryden, Tompkins Co., NY
Their children were: Birth dates are from Church records of the First Presbyterian Church of Ithaca, listed under the children of Rebecca Brown.
1. David Brown born Sept. 22, 1805Married Susan (_____)
1850 Dryden Census2. Maria Brown born April 12, 1806 d. Nov. 15, 1872 ae 66 yr
David Brown - 45 ; Susan - 43; Margaret -12; Orson - 9; Mary Ann - 7; Catherine - 4; Charles - 2
Also living next door is Amos Ostrander age 29 with wife Harriet age 22, Ira B., age 1, with Daniel Brown age 13, unsure who's son this Daniel Brown is. Amos Ostrander was the son of Abraham & Catherine (Boice) Ostrander, Abraham was a sister to Rebecca Ostrander Brown the mother of David Brown.
Married Lester Smith d. Nov. 19, 1875 ae 70 yr3. Catherine (Caty) Brown born Oct. 5, 1809 (also known as Cathrina)
Buried in Etna Cemetery, Town of Dryden, Tompkins Co., NY
Children:[Maria Brown Smith made her will Dec. 29, 1871; Probate July 27, 1874; Ex. Lester Smith & George H. Houtz; Wits. George H. Houtz, H. Wilcox, ( H. Wilcox was dead at probate )
Emeline Smith born _____died Sept. 12, 1861 age 31 years old, she married Jesse Bartholomew as his second wife. She is buried in Etna Cemetery, Tompkins Co., NY. Elmer Smith died. Aug. 21, 1850 ae 17y 8m 21d, buried also at Etna Cemetery.
Married William Van Sickle
1850 Dryden Census
William VanSickle - 40 born NJ; Catherine - 40; John - 20; Henry - 17; George - 15.
4. Elias Brown born Sept. 20, 18111850 Dryden Cenus: show Charles Elias Brown, age 39; Loisa Ann - 34; Rebecca - 16; Jerome - 10.5. Israel Brown born Dec. 17, 1813 died Feb. 1, 1879
Married Marilla/Marella Sndyer born March 19, 1819 died Dec. 14, 1892 daughter of Wm & Rachel (Sweazy) Snyder. Israel and Marilla are buried in Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Ithaca, Tompkins Co., NY.6. Hannah Brown born March 9, 1816
1850 Dryden Census: Israel Brown age 36; Marilla - 31; Elmer - 9; Cordelia - 8; Orvill - 6; Sarah - 4; They had living with them Robert Brown age 21 a brother to Israel Brown.
Buried in the same cemetery is Marilla's parents: Snyder, Rachael (Sweazy) w/o William Snyder 1791-1853; Snyder, William 1787-1878 (son of Peter & Mary (Shaver) Snyder
1. Elmer Brown born 1841 (1880 Dryden census: Elmer Brown age 40 (Boatman) with wife Hattie age 37) 2. Cordellia Brown b. 1842 married (______) Powers (1880 Dryden census: Frank Powers age 40 (Cannel Hand) Cordellia Brown his wfe age 36) 3. Orrin Brown born 1844 4. Sarah Brown born 1846 5. Will Brown born ? 6. Ellen A. Brown born 1857 married July 15, 1885 Chas H. Carpenter born abt. 1858 - Marriage record, Town of Dryden, NY - 07/15/1885 - Charles CARPENTER From: Elmira, NY; age (27); Born: Harford; Father: A. J. CARPENTER / Mother: Delilah MANLEY Married Ellen BROWN From: Varna, NY; age (28); Born: Varna, NY; Father: Israel BROWN / Mother: Marilla SNYDERMarried John VayMiller (per her fathers will)7. Rachel Brown born May 4, 1818 died Aug. 7, 1844 aged 26 yrs., 3 mos., & 3 da.
(death taken from her headstone inscription in Robertson Cemetery, Town of Dryden, Tompkins Co., NY)8. Henry Talmadge Brown born Aug. 15, 1820 moved to ILL.
Married Zodock O. Campbell (per her headstone inscription)Dryden 1850 Census a H. Brown is found, unsure if this could be Henry T. Brown.
H. Brown age 31; Sarah age 36, Mary age 10, Hannah age 9.
9. Nancy Brown born Dec. 10, between 1821/1824
Married George Bellis10. John B. Brown born Oct. 19, 1825 moved Chemung Co., NY.
11. Robert Brown born abt. 1829, living with Israel Brown (his brother in Town of Dryden 1850)
Return to Genealogy Connect - Plus
Copyright by JanMarie
All Rights Reserved