Please use as a guide only!
William Carl/Carle, born abt. 1785 died 1855. His headstone inscription reads as follows: Wm. Carl died Sept. 20, 1855, aged 70 years. He married Elizabeth (________) (maiden name may be Fisher) born abt. 1789 died 1831. Her headstone inscriptions reads as follows: Elizabeth wife of Wm. Carl, died April 27, 1831 aged 42 years 11 months & 22 days. They are both buried on the old William Carl homestead in a private cemetery. Only 5 headstones are found on this plot. Wm, Elizabeth, Charlotte (their dau.) William Carl (believe to be a grandson, son of Peter Carl), and Benjamin Quick, unknown relationship. William Carl married 2nd in 1833 to Abigail (Unknown). Abigail was the widow of James Walker, who died in 1832. After the death of William Carl, Abigail moved to Waushara Co., Wisonsin where her son Thomas H. Walker lived.
Children of William Carl (per Intestate Estates of Tompkins Co., NY records). William Carl of Caroline, NY died March 20th, 1855, widow Abigail, sons: Peter; daus: Phebe Ann wife of Isaac Teeter; Mary wife of William Allen of Candor, NY; Jane wife of D. Sanford of Candor, NY; Rachel wife of John Brailey of Caroline, NY; Sarah Helene of Deanes Corners, Chen. Co. and Charlotte Payne dec'd left: Josephine Payne, a minor dau.; Catherine Jones, dec'd left: Chessey Cordelia Jones a minor, and Eliz. Jones a minor married last name unknown. 1850 census in Caroline, Tompkins Co., NY - William Carl age 65 born NJ, wife Abagail age 60 born NY, Mary A. Jackson age 10 born NY; Charles Allen age 15 born NY. Note: William Carl may have had a sister Mary Carl who was married to a neighbor John Sullivan.
1. Peter Carl, son of William & Elilzabeth Carl (surname spelled Karl at times for Peter. Born abt. 1821 in the Town of Caroline, Tompkins Co., NY; died August 15th 1895 in Candor, Tioga Co., NY, age 78 yrs., 10 mo's 0 dys., he was a carpenter. His death record states he had suffered Paralytie Shock in 1887, since which he had softening of the brain, causing his death: His parents are listed as William Carl & Elizabeth (blank). He was buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, NY. 1850 Candor census has a Peter Carl as follows: Peter Carl age 29, laborer, born NY, Mary wife age 25, Wm. age 8, Willis age 7, Orphy (female) age 3. 1860 Candor Census; Peter Carl age 42, Eliza A. age 37, Wm age 18, Willis age 17, Allice age 3, Clarri, age 2/12. 1870 census Candor, Tioga Co., NY Peter Carl age 52 (born 1817), Eliza A. age 46 (born 1823), Jennie age 10 (born 1859), Mary age 7 (b. 1862). Peter Karl is found living in Candor, Tioga Co., NY in 1880 as follows: Peter age 62 born NY, Occupation - cooper, father born NY, mother born NY; Lucile Karl his wife age 48, born NY, occupation - keeping house, father born NY, mother born NY; Jenny Karl age 20 born NY, living at home. Believe he had a son William E. who is buried on the William Carl homestead. William E. Carl died April 20, 1863 aged 22 years. 1880 Census for Barton, Tioga Co. Willace (Willis) Carl age 37 born NY, occupation - Clerk in Grocery, father born NY, mother born NY. Martha G. his wife age 30, born NY, occupation - keeping house, father born NY, mother born NY. Living in the same household, Opha C. Pierce, sister to Willis, age 34, born NY, father born NY, mother born NY. Mattie Carle also listed as a sister to Willis age 17, attending school, born NY, father born NY, mother born NY. Burial of Orpha E. Carl is found in Forrest Home Cemetery, Waverly, NY. Orpha E. Carl , wife of F. Marion Pierce Apr. 1846 - Jan. 1913; F. Marion Pierce June 1830 - Apr. 1875. Record found for Jennie Carl, married LeGrand Seamon on March 22, 1887 were parents of a son Carl Seamon. LeGrand was born in Dutchess Co., NY. This marriage records states Jennie's parents were: Peter Carl and Eliza Vanbuskirk. Another marriage record found for Mary Carl, daughter of Peter & Eliza VanBurskirk, married June 30, 1886 to William A. Washburn. Record found he married again at the age of 70: Peter CARL, 70, widower, farmer, Carlyle - Tompkins Co NY, Crogan? Co NY, s/o William & Elizabeth, married Lydia W. BREARLY, 55, widow, Tompkins CO NY, Tioga Co NY, d/o David SCOTT & Libbie, witnesses: F. S. HOUSTON & Frank KENNEY, both of Niagara Falls, married 14 June 1887 at Niagara Falls, NY.
2. Phebe Ann Carl, dau. of William & Elilzabeth Carl, born 1810 died May 2, 1876. She married in 1829 to Isaac Teeter born 1805 died ? (still living 1880), son of Conrad & Christina Keller. Isaac & Phebe Teeter lived in Ithaca, NY, Tompkins County, NY. This home was near the Enfield town line. It is said by Teeter family members that Phebe went to Calf. for some reason and she got scarlet fever and died, she was buried in Calf., place unknown. Her children errected a headstone in her honor in Inlet Cemetery, Ithaca, NY. Phebe Teeter "Mother" of Martha, Henry and Eugene) d. May 2, 1876 age 66 years. Isaac Teeter married 2nd to Sarah (____) widow of Theodore Nelson. Sarah was born March 12, 1830 died Dec. 1, 1903. It is unknown were Isaac is buried, Teeter family members have been told he was buried in one place (place unknown) then removed to another place that his children felt was more appropriate (that location is also unknown) Family memebers state Phebe and Isaac had at least three children die young and were buried in the Gibbs Cemetery, Ithaca, NY, it is unknown at this time their names. Children of Isaac & Phebe were:2. a. Andrew Jackson Teeter, son of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter, born August 30, 1830 died 1908 age 78 yrs, married 1st March 28, 1850 to Sabrina C. Hamilton b. May 29, 1829 d. 1852 age 22 yrs., (Sabrina's headstone 1830-1852) married 2nd Phebe VanVleet who died 1853 age 30 yrs., no children by first two marriages, married 3rd 1857 to Mary Nixon who was born 1836, died 1917 age 81 yrs. Mary was the dau. of George & Sarah Marie (Hamilton) Nixon. Andrew, 1st wife Sabrina, 2nd wife Phebe and 3rd wife Mary are all buried on the old Teeter Farm, Ithaca, NY (located near the Enfield town line, on Gray Road).
In 1860 Andrew & Mary were living in the Town of Caroline. In 1870 they were living in Ithaca, NY, Mary's mother Sarah Nixon was living with them. (Note: Mary's parents, George and Sarah Nixon are buried in Ithaca City Cemetry)
Children of Andrew and Mary are:2. a. 1. George I. Teeter, (George J. Teeter, age 12 in 1870 census) son of Andrew & Mary (Nixon) Teeter, born 1855/58, married Elnora J. Sullivan, born abt. 1857 died 1940, dau. of William & Susanna (Scott) Sullivan. Elnora was from the Town of Caroline, NY. Her family lived on Brearley Hill.
Children: Zibbe, Andrew, George Scott Teeter2. a. 1a. Zibbe S. Teeter, dau. of George & Elnora (Sullivan) Teeter, born 1882 died 1942 married Nelson F. Hopper born 1874 died 1939,2. a. 2. Charles A.Teeter, born 1872
their children were: Elnora Hopper b. 1910 married Mr. Mead; Nelson Hopper born 1916
2. a. 1b. Andrew Teeter born 1883
2. a. 1c. George Scott Teeter born 1887 died 1962
2. a. 3. Arthur J. Teeter, born 1878, married Susan Brown of Candor, Tioga Co., NY, she was the dau. of Frank James & Almina Cornelia (Burleigh) Brown. Quote from the Ithaca High School 25 year reunion book - Teeter, Arthur Jackson, entered from I. G. S., Sept. 1894; graduated the Acad, 1899, Congress, Farming, 1899 to present , lives Ithaca, NY.
2. a. 4. Lille M. , born 1877 (foster child only) married Walter Sheffield - She is only listed here because she has been credited as being a daughter. She was not. This listing is only to clear up that error. Her last name was not Teeter, it was Lillian "Lillie" (surname may have been Watros) she came from PA.
2. b. Sabrina Teeter, born about 1831, daughter of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter (believe she was not a daughter, but the wife of their son Andrew Jackson Teeter. She was living with them as a new bride to their son Andrew in the 1850 census.
2. c. Charlotte Teeter, born about 1833 daughter of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter - Per Landmarks of Tompkins Co., NY - Charlotte H. Teeter, dau. of Isaac Teeter married Elijah C. Hedges, born Feb. 11, 1838 died Nov. 1883, their children were: Mrs. John Elyea of Danby, Isaac Hedges of Kansas City, Lamont Hedges.
Buried in South Hill Cemetery, Coddington Road, Ithaca NY. Hedges, Elijah C. died Nov. 1883 age 54 yrs., 10 mo., 11 dys. His wife Charlotte H. Teeter 1833-1922.
Quote from Landmarks of Tompkins Co., NY - Hedges, Elijah C., deceased, was born in Caroline, February 11, 1838, and was educated in the district schools. At the age of twenty-four he married Charlotte H. TEETER, daughter of Isaac TEETER, who bore him three children: Mrs. John ELYEA, of Danby: Isaac, of Kansas City; and Lamont, who lives at home. Mr. HEDGES was a Democrat and took an active interest in educational and religious matters. He had been in failing health for some years, so he left the farm and bought a residence in the town of Ithaca, but failed to recover his health, and passed away in November, 1883. After his death Mrs. HEDGES took the management of the farm into her hands, and has achieved a merited success.
1880 was living in the Town of Ithaca Near South Hill Cemetery location. 1880 census - Elijah Hedges age 52 born NY, farmer; Chartotte his wife age 46; Ida, dau., age 24; Isaac, son age 20, teacher; Lamont, son age 6.
2. d. Sarah Ann Teeter, daughter of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter, born 2 Jul 1836 in Ithaca, NY [married 1st Mr. Van Buskirk 2nd Married: 23 Jan 1907 to John Taber born Sept. 15, 1837] The Mr. Van Buskirk, may have been John Van Buskirk. In 1860 John and Sarah are found living in Ithaca, John age 31, Sarah age 24, with William Wheeler age 35, and Orpha Carl age 15 living in the same household. Orpha would have been her niece, daughter of her mother's brother Peter Carl. In 1870 Sarah and John Van Burkirk are living with Eugene Teeter, and next door to Isaac and Phebe Teeter
2. d. 1. Charles Van Burskirk, son of John & Sarah Ann Teeter Van Burkirk, born about 1865
2. e. Susan Teeter b. about 1838 (per the will of Isaac Teeter, she was Susan Cummings of Willseyville, NY, the sum of one hundred dollars). Believe she is the Susan Cummings, wife of James Cummings. James died Nov. 17, 1870 and Susan died in 1921. They had three children: William Henry; Hattie B.; Rosa Nell, all minors at the time of his death. William Henry Cummings married Stella Mix, they had at least at least two children, a daughter named Pearl, and a son named Carlton B. "Carl" Cummings, born June 8, 1885 in Willseyville, Tioga Co., NY. Rosa married Charles Edwards. [Rosa must have married twice, she is Rosa Maxwell b. 1870 in 1892 and 1900 with a son Leo living with her mother.] (Thank you Nancy Cummings for helping update this family). In 1910 Susan Cummings is living in Tioga Co., NY with her cousin Orpha Carl Pierce, daughter of Peter Carl above.
2. f. Johanna Teeter, born about 1843 daughter of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter
2. g. Martha J. Teeter, born about 1845 - daughter of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter. Per Landmarks of Tompkins Co., NY - Martha J. Teeter, dau. of Isaac Teeter married Mott J. Robertson, born Nov. 19, 1822, he was the son of George & Mary (Smith) Robertson and was age 46 when he married. Cemetery records for Willow Glen Cemetery, Dryden, NY a Martha J. Robertson who died in Ithaca, is buried on lot 12-47 buried 1940 age 99 yrs. Mott Robertson is also buried there, but no dates are listed for him. They are on the same lot as George Robertson and Mary his wife. Quote from Landmarks of Tompkinsn Co., NY. Robertson, Mott J., was born in the town of Dryden, November 19, 1822. His father, George ROBERTSON, came to the town in 1798, March 12, and was the first freeholder in the town of Dryden, and settled on lot No. 53, where his son now resides. He received his education in the old eight square brick school house, which was as quite a celebrated institution in its day. At the age of forty-six he married Martha J. TEETER, daughter of Isaac TEETER, of Ithaca. He takes the Republican side in politics and an intelligent interest in educational and religious matters. Our subject has 175 acres of the original ROBERTSON homestead, and in 1891 bought what was known as the James GILES farm of 220 acres, and has nearly 400 acres of some of the best farm and wood land in his town, where he is recognized as a practical and successful farmer. The family originally came from Scotland; and has always been prominently identified in the leading events of the day and in advancing the best interests of the town. Captain George ROBERTSON has a family of thirteen children, nine sons and four daughters.
1880 Dryden, NY near the Ellis Hollow area. Census for 1880 - Mott J. Robertson age 57, farmer; Martha J., wife age 35; Herbert VanDusen, listed as a son, age 18.
2. h. Jerome Teeter, son of Isaac & Phebe Carl Teeter died 1846 age 26 days. Buried on the old homestead family burial ground, Teeter Cemetery, Town of Ithaca, NY
2. i. Mary Teeter, born about 1847, daughter of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter
2. j. William Henry Teeter, son of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter(LDS records - William Henry Teeter) born 1850 - Quote from Landmarks of Tompkins Co., NY - Teeter, William H., was born in the town of Ithaca, December 18, 1852, on the old TEETER farm, owned by his father, Isaac TEETER. He received a district school education and has made farming his occupation. Mr. TEETER owns a farm of ninety-five acres four miles south of Ithaca-a good grain farm-and makes a specialty of tobacco. He has four children, Minnie and Ernest by a former marriage. At the age of 35 years he married a daughter of James OBORN, of Wisconsin, and they have two children, Willis and Blanch. Unsure if this William above is the correct William Henry Teeter. Date of birth is not correct. Inlet Valley Cemetery, Ithaca NY has the following burial Teeter, W. H. b. 1850 d. 1902. In 1870 Henry Teeter age 21 is living with his parents Isaac and Phebe.
2. k. Eugene Teeter, son of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeterborn about 1852 (LDS records gives Eugene Teeter son of Isaac & Phebe Ann Carl Teeter born about 1853 married about 1876 to Catharine Paff born about 1857. In 1870 Eugene is unmarried and living next door to his parents. 1880 census Enfield, Eugene Teeter age 27, born NY, farmer, father born NY, mother born NY. Wife Kate Teeter age 25, keeping house, born NY, father born NY, mother born NY. Phebe Teeter, dau. age 4, Edith Teeter, dau. age 2.
Inlet Valley Cemetery, Ithaca, NY has the following for Eugene Teeter: Teeter, Eugene F. b. 1852 d. 1936
Teeter, Catherine E. b. 1855 d. 1941
2. l. Frank Teeter, son of Isaac & Phebe (Carl) Teeter, born about 1852
3. Mary Carl, dau. of William & Elilzabeth Carl, born April 8, 1811 in Tompkins Co., NY, she died Jan. 31, 1890 in Candor, NY. She married May 9, 1832 William D. Allen, born Dec. 08, 1807 in Delaware, NY., he died instantly from being struck by a train in Willseyville, Tioga Co., NY on May 23, 1898 per newspaper clipping. His grave marker states he died MAY 24, 1898 in Candor, Tioga Co., NY They are both buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, NY. 1850 William Carl has a Charles Allen living his his home b. about 1835. In 1860 Candor Census, W. D. Allen age 54, wife Mary age 49, James M. age 17, Cornelia age 10, with C. W. age 6 (C. W., maybe J. W). Willseyville, Tioga Co., NY a William D. Allen in the 1880 census records as follows: William D. Allen age 72, carpenter, born in NY, father born in NY, mother born in Ire.; Mary his wife age 69, keeping house, born NY, father born NY, mother born NY.; John W., son 26, laborer, born NY, father born NY, mother born NY. Living next door is: James M. Allen age 38, Kate L., his wife 37; Luke Y., 13; Newton B., 11.
Their children were:
3. a. Charles William Allen, son of William D. & Mary Carl Allen, born about 1835, died 1877 in Candor, Tioga Co., NY. He married Polly Tuttle, born 1833 in Litchfield, Connecticut, and died March 20, 1906 in Candor, Tioga, NY. They are buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, Tioga Co., NY.
Their children: Minnie; Eugene H.
3. a. 1. Minnie Allen, daughter of Charles & Polly Tuttle Allen, born August 02, 1863, Candor, Tioga, NY died January 22, 1927, Candor, Tioga, NY. Married Thomas Wrigley Pass, born April 5, 1861, died Dec. 26, 1924, they are buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, Tioga Co., NY. Thomas was the son of Peter & Priscilla Eastham Pass.
Children of Thomas & Minnie Allen Pass were:
3. a. 1. i. Lillian Martha Pass, daughter of Thomas & Minnie Allen Pass b. February 03, 1886, Candor, Tioga, NY; d. June 16, 1955, Wellsburg, Chemung, NY. , she married Rarey Wilbur Stevenson of Candor, Tioga Co., NY, born Oct. 13, 1885 in Kenton, Ohio, he died in 1978, in Wellsburg, Chemung, Co., NY. Their children were: Marian Elizabeth Stevenson, b. 1915, d. 2000, married Betram A. Rundell, b. 1916 d. 1983: and Mildred A. Stevenson, b. 1918 d. 1978, married James Alden.
3. a. 1. ii. Peter Eugene Pass, son of Thomas & Minnie Allen, b. April 20, 1889, Candor, Tioga, NY d. March 16, 1972, Candor, Tioga, NY. He married Charlotte Walton, on June 25, 1912, she was born May 7, 1885, in Auburn, Cayuga Co., NY, died March 6, 1966 in Candor, NY. They are buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, Tioga Co., NY. Their children were: Allen Walton Pass, b. 1913 d. 1985, married Olive Downing, 2nd married Florence Griffen, 3rd married Irene Furman. Allen and Florence are buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, Tioga Co., NY; Donald B. Pass, b. 1917 d. 1987, married Helen E. Nichols, b. 1922; Dorothy P. Pass, b. 1918, d. 2001, married Edgar Hammond, b. 1911 d. 1972; Eleanor V. Pass, b. 1921 d. 2001 (buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, Tioga Co., Eleanor married Andrew Eiklor, b. 1921 d. 1982, married 2nd Gordon Griswold 1915-1989.
3. a. 1. iii. Mabel Pass, daughter of Thomas & Minnie Allen Pass, b. May 31, 1893, Candor, Tioga, NY d. March 30, 1928, Candor, Tioga, NY. Married Floyd Hosford, Mabel is buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, NY. Their children were: Helen Louise Hosford 1922-1999.
3. a. 1. iv. Richard Allen Pass, son of Thomas & Minnie Allen Pass, b. March 02, 1899, Candor, Tioga, NY d. July 29, 1964, Owego, Tioga, NY. Married Mildred J. Wiggins, b. 1902 d. 1982, they are buried in Tioga Cemetery, in Owego, NY. They had at least 3 children.
3. a. 2. Eugene H. Allen, son of Charles & Polly Tuttle Allen, born 1865, Candor, NY.
3. b. Luke C. Allen, son of William D. & Mary Carl Allen, born 1837
3. c. Cynthia A. Allen, daughter of William D. & Mary Carl Allen, born 1839, she married Orrin Tucker, son of Edward Tucker. In 1880 census they are found as follows: Orrin Tucker age 46, born NY., Occupation, Cooper, father born in CT., mother born in CT; Cinthia A Tucker, wife age 41 occupation, keeping house, born in NY., father born NY, mother born NY; Leroy M. Tucker, son age 18, Laborer; James M. Tucker, son age 16 Laborer; John W. Tucker, son age 10, at school; Ellie L. Tucker, daughter age 6; Edward Tucker, father, age 84, states he was born in NY, (in son's record it states his father was born in CT .
3. c. 1. Louisa M. Tucker, born Aug. 18, 1855, Candor, Tioga Co., NY; died 1919; married James DeWitt Hazen, Jan 19, 1876, Candor, Tioga Co., NY; born April 6, 1851, Newfield, Tompkins Co., NY. They are buried in Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, Tioga Co., NY. Headstone for Dewitt J. Hazen has born 1851, no death date listed.3. d. James Manley Allen, son of William D. & Mary Carl Allen, born August 1, 1844 died March 11, 1917, married Catherine "Kate" L. Hart, In Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, the headstones of James M. Allen is found 1841 - 1917, with wife Catherine L., 1842 - 1905. On the same monument is Frances L. Hart, 1838 - 1904. Thier children: Luke Y.; Newton B.
3. c. 1. i. Leafie May Hazen, born Jan 18, 1886; married Benjamin David Gaskill, b. Nov. 18, 1882, Campville, NY.
3. c. 1. ii. Lester Earl Hazen, born May 13, 1890
3. c. 1. iii. Nina Florence Hazen, born Dec. 13, 1896
3. c. 2. Alice S. Tucker, born May 8, 1859, Tioga Co., NY; died Oct 4, 1943; married George F. Van Etten; born August 19, 1854, Tompkins Co., NY; died April 24 1935, son of George W. & Harriet (Roe) Van Etten. They are both buried in Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, NY.
3. c. 2. i. Lillie May Van Etten, born March 21, 1886, Candor, NY; died Dec. 20, 1952; Cause of death was cancer of the stomach, she is buried Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, NY.
3. c. 2. ii. Edna Luella Van Etten, born Oct 1894, Candor, NY; married Bert Jerome Cummings on Nov. 22, 1903; born abt 1891, Spencer, Tioga Co., NY
3. c. 2. iii. Florence C. Van Etten, born Feb. 2, 1896, Candor, NY; died 1990; married Howard C. Smith on July 3, 1922, in Candor, NY., born abt. 1898, Wappuiges Falls, NY; died 1959. He was the son of James & Lora (Ledore) Smith. Florence and Howard are both buried in Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, NY. July 6th 1922 newspaper clipping; Binghamton, NY. July 3; A very quiet wedding occurred at the home of G. F. VanEtten on Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock when their youngest daughter, Florence, was united in marrage to Howard C. Smith of Triangle, NY. The ceremony was performed by Rev. E. Kilpatrick in the presence of the family including a married sister and her husband, Mr. & Mrs. Bert Cummings of Willseyville. They will settle in Triangle.
3. c. 3. LeRoy M. Tucker, born abt 1862, NY; died bef. Oct 5, 1944; married Elizabeth Daks; born Aug. 11, 1861, NY; died Oct. 5, 1944. Person listed as the informant on her death record was Clare F. Kyle, Owego., NY. She was buried in Catatonk., NY. They married abt 1891, no children have been found for them.
3. c. 4. Charles M. Tucker, born abt. July 8, 1862 died Feb. 8, 1867, buried Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, NY
3. c. 5. James M. Tucker, born abt. 1864, NY
3. c. 6. John W. Tucker, born abt 1869, NY; married abt 1893 to Cora Unknown; born abt 1872, Iowa.
3. c. 6. i. Jessie Tucker, born abt 1895
3. d. 6. ii. Dorothy Tucker, born abt. 1897
3. d. 6. iii. Alan Tucker, born abt. 1902
3. c. 7. Hester "Ellie" L. Tucker, born March 19, 1874, NY; died June 16, 1953, Tioga Co., NY; married Marvin H. Muckey, abt 1902; born 1877, NY; died 1970, Tioga Co., NY. They are buried in Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, NY. No children found for them.
3. d. 1. Luke J. Allen, son of James M. & Kate L. Allen, born Jan. 1867. Married Charlotte Bevier in 1930, he died 1934. They had one child, Charles Manley Allen, born 1932 died 1991
3. d. 2. Milton Allen, son of James M. & Kate L. Allen, born abt. 1869. [ The Waverly Free Press and Tioga Record; Friday, November 15, 1907 - Prospect Valley Section - J. M. Allen received the sad news of the death of his son Milton A. Allen, of Richford, which occurred Friday night. He, with others, were on a hay mow. He had just cautioned his son to be careful and not fall, when he fell himself, a distance of about twenty foot, injuring him so badly that he lived but a few hours. Funeral services were held on Monday. Those from this place who survive were his father, J. M. Allen and his brother, Luke J. Allen, his sister and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. Porter Shrauger and Mrs. G. F. Van Etten]
He may be the Milton Allen living in Richford, Tioga Co., NY in 1900 as follows: Milton Allen, age 31, born August 12, 1868 married 10 years, born NY; wife Cora B., age 29, born Oct. 25, 1870, mother of 2 children 2 living; Charles O., son, born Mar. 12, 1891 age 9; Jennie M., daughter, born Aug. 6, 1892 age 7. I beleive they also may have had a son Raymond born 1904.
3. d. 3. Libbie Florine Allen, daughter of James M. & Kate L. Allen, born Nov. 18, 1880, Candor, NY, she married Porter A. Shrauger on April 22, 1899, he was born Oct. 24, 1877, Sidney, Del. Co. Spelling of Porter's surname has been found a number of different ways, also Shrauger/Shrange/Sheranger to name a few. Libbie died Sept. 5, 1922 in Sayre, Pa. Porter died July 18, 1938. Both are buried in Tioga Cemetery, Owego, Tioga Co., NY.
3. d. 3. i. James Clifford Shrauger, born April 28, 1899 - May 1974, buried at Woodlawn Cemetery Elmira, NY.
3. d. 3. ii. Olive Vergie Shrauger, born August 22, 1902 died April 14, 1988, married William H. Armstorng, born March 22, 1893, died Aug. 8, 1967, son of Edward & Mary (Cooper) Armstrong. Buried in Caroline Grove Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY. They both are buried in Caroline Grove Cemetery, Tompkins Co., NY.
3. d. 3. iii. Mary M. Shrauger, born June 14, 1904 died April 25, 1979, buried in Tioga Cemetery, Tioga Co., NY. She married Ernest C. Surine 1898-1985.
3. d. 3. iv. Lucius Martin Shrauger, born Dec. 21, 1905, Owego, NY, died Jan 15, 1973, buried in Tioga Cemetery, Tioga Co., NY.
3. d. 3. v. Allen Leroy Shrauger, born April 21, 1908, Owego, NY, died Feb. 19, 1943 Tioga Co., NY Married Lydia Rae Stinard, born Dec. 7, 1908, died Oct. 15, 1992. They are buried in Tioga Cemetery, Tioga Co., NY
3. d. 3. vi. Roy Shrauger, born Mar. 31, 1910, died Nov. 3, 1978, buried in Tioga Cemetery, Owego, Tioga Co., NY
3. d. 3. vii. Walter Shrauger, born Aug. 3, 1911, Owego, NY. Died July 13, 1996. He may have had a twin sister, Wilma. He married Mary Dolores Rowe 1910-2001. Buried in Tioga Cemetery, Owego, Tioga Co., NY.
3. d. 3. viii. Lena Mae Shrauger, born April 21, 1909 died Sept. 23, 2009. She married Henry C. Jones, who died 1989. He was born 1897. Buried in Calvary Cemetery, Johnson City, NY.
3. d. 3. ix. Ruby K. Shrauger, born April 21, 1908 died June 2, 1967, married Henry R. Stinard 1905-1990. They both are buried in Tioga Cemetery, Tioga Co., NY.
3. d. 3. x. Nettie Shrauger, born Dec. 16, 1914 died Feb. 9, 1970, married Fred Carrigan 1911-1966. Buried in Hector Union Cemetery, Burdett, Schuyler Co., NY.
3. d. 3. xi. Infant Shrauger, 1922-1922
3. d. 4. Unknown
3. d. 5. Unknown
3. e. Matthew K. Allen, son of William D. & Mary Carl Allen, born March 1843; married Cornelia Jane Wardwell, born Aug. 1844, daughter of William & Sarah (Hall) Wardwell. Matthew died 1919, Cornelia died 1928. They are both buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor, NY. In 1900 census she states she was the mother of 8 children, only 5 living at that time. Children found are; Bertha, Archie, Ray M., William C., Unknown, Edith V., Ida and Ina.
3. f. Cordelia Candace Allen, daughter of William D. & Mary Carl Allen, born 1849, married Herman A. Strong, born abt. 1845, he died Oct. 9, 1930 at the age of 86, they are buried in Willow Glen Cemetery, Dryden, NY in Lot 4-08. Believe this was Herman Alonzo Strong, born Nov. 9, 1843, son of Zeri & Lydia Lane Strong.
The following is from a newspaper clipping of their 60th wedding anniversary, Dec. 20th 1925: Mr. and Mrs. Herman Strong, Freeville. Pass 60th Milestone of Wedded Life and Receive Many Congratulations. Mr. and Mrs. Herman A. Strong passed the sixieth milestone of their wedded like in their home at Freeville, Sunday, December 20, surrounded by a host of friends and relatives who called in commemoration of the event, and to extend to them sincere congratulations. The home prsented an attractive scene with its decorations of the Yuletide, interspersed with flowers. Dainty refreshments were served. Herman A. Strong and Candace Cordelia Allen, daughter of William D. Allen were married Dec. 20, 1865 at the home of her parents in Candor, in the presence of about 80 guests, only one of whom is now living, Eugene B. Strong, of Whitney Point, and who was among the guests at the sixieth anniversary. There were born to them four children, all of whom are now living and who were privileged to have an active part in the festivties of the occasion: Mrs. E. A. Breese, of Cortland, Mrs. Henry Fitts of Syracuse, Mrs. Alex. Swartwood of Mohawk, and W.D. Strong of Freeville. They also have two grandchildren living. Mr. and Mrs. Strong are both natives of Tompkins County and 44 years ago established the home in Freeville, which is now occupied by them. They soon became actively associated with the social civic and religius interest of the community, and despite the accumulation of years are still assuming those duties zealously and in the spirt of helpfulness. 1880, Cora B., age 13, William B. age 9, Fanney M., age 4.
3. f. a. Cora Strong, daughter of Herman & Cordelia C. Allen Strong, born abt. 1867. She married 1st E. A. Breese. Cora married 2nd in Freeville, Dryden, NY March 24, 1929 to Dr. Homer Genung, born Nov. 12, 1857, the son of Benjamin & Nancy Fidelia Krum Genung. Cora was his 3rd wife.
3. f. b. William B. Strong, son of Herman & Cordelia C. Allen Strong, born abt. 1871, his age in 1880 was 9 years. 1925 he was living in Freeville, Town of Dryden, Tompkins Co., NY. STRONG, William B. Lot 4-08 (no dates) He married Edith M. (_____), she is also buried in Willow Glen Cemetery, no dates on records. She was born about 1875.
3. f. c. Mary Frances Strong, daughter of Herman & Cordelia C. Allen Strong, born about 1876, died 1969 at the age of 39, she married Henry J. Fitts, they lived in Syracuse (1920 & 1925) they had at least one daughter Alice, born abt. 1904. They are buried in Willow Glen Cemetery, Dryden, NY. Lot 13-09, buried on the same lot is Frank W. Breese, no dates, Romona b. Breese, died April 6, 1948 56 yrs., she died in Santa Clara, Ca., Frank W. Breese, no dates. This Breese family may be some relation to Cora Strong, sister of Mary Frances, Cora married E. A. Breese.
3. f. c. 1. Alice Fitts, daughter of Henry J. & Mary Frances Strong Fitts, born about 1904, died Sept. 16, 1997 married Merlin A. Adams, who died Feb. 22, 1993, they are both buried in Willow Glen Cemetery, Dryden, NY. Lot 13-09.
3. f. d. Eva Strong, daughter of Herman & Cordelia C. Allen Strong, she was born abt. 1886, married Alex Swartwood, they were living in Herkimer, Mohawk in 1925. This Alex Swartwood, may be the same one born Oct. 12, 1881, died Nov. 1965 in Florida.
3. g. John Westley Allen, son of William D. & Mary Carl Allen, born 1854.
4. Jane Carl, per will of her father she was the wife of B. Sanford (Barlow Sanford married Jane Carl, they are buried in Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, Tioga Co., NY, next to his parents. Headstone inscriptions: Barlow Sanford 1817-1888; Jane Carl his wife 1818-1894. Barlow Sanford was the son of Ezekiel & Orpha Wright Sanford) of Candor, Tioga Co., NY. They lived in Candor and Wilseyville, Tioga Co., NY. Believe when they were living in Candor it was on the Candor side of Brearley Hill Road. Jane's father lived on the Caroline side of Brearley Hill Road. In 1840 Barlow and wife were living in Danby, NY, no children at that time. Children that have been found:
4. a. Francis Sanford, daughter of Barlow & Jane Carle Sanford, born about 1841, age 9 in 1850 listed as female, not in the 1860 census with parents.
4. b. Harmon D. Sanford, son of Barlow & Jane Carle Sanford, born about 1843; married Mary Griffin, daughter of Lewis & Sally (Compton) Griffin, born April 26, 1846; died Feb. 2, 1928. Informant on Mary's death record was Mrs. David Smith. Buried in Smith Valley Cemetery, Willseyville, NY. Harmon & Mary had Cora b. about 1868; Lilly M., born abt. 1875 died July 28, 1876; Charles L., born abt. 1879.
4. b. 1. Cora Sanford, born abt 1868
4. b. 2. Lilly M. Sanford, b. abt 1875 d. July 28, 1876, buried in Lane Cem., Town of Caroline, Tompkins Co., NY.
4. b. 3. Charles L. Sanford, born abt. 1879
4. b. 4. Unknown Sanford, died bef 1900
4. c. Charles E. Sanford, son of Barlow & Jane Carle Sanford, born about 1846, married Ada _______, born about 1851.
4. d. Lenora D. Sanford, daughter of Barlow & Jane Carle Sanford, born July 13, 1848 in Willseyville, NY, died Oct. 4, 1944 in Waverly, NY. She married Mahlon Manning, born 1844 died Sept. 12, 1907. Buried in Glenwood Cemetery, Waverly, NY She is listed in 1850 census as Alnora age 2, and in 1860 she is listed as L. D. age 12. Also found buried in Glenwood Cemetery, Waverly, NY is: Jennie E. Edgecomb, born Sept. 9, 1875 died May 10, 1969 in Waverly, NY. She may have been the wife of; Edgecomb, Gilbert Burdette born June 17, 1868 Talmadge Hill, Waverly, N.Y. died Oct. 26, 1949 Waverly, N.Y. Son of Hobart and Lucinda Hollenbeck Edgecomb Wife; Jane Manning
4. e. Mary R. Sanford, daughter of Barlow & Jane Carle Sanford, born about 1853, was still living with her parents in 1870. She may have married a Cephas R. Hart.
5. Rachel Carl, dau of William & Elilzabeth Carl. Married Jan. 5, 1848 to John Brearley born May 26, 1816 died 1891, son of Joseph & Catherine (Cheeseman) Brearley. Both John & Rachel are buried in Smith Valley Cemetery, located on 96B between Candor and Willseyville, Tioga Co., NY. Headstone is very faded and was hard to read, above dates are written as the inscription appeared. Headstone inscription for Rachel L. Carle his wife appears to be - 1828-1881. William & Elizabeth Carle lived next door to the Joseph Brearley family on Brearley Hill. Rachel's parents are buried on the Carle Family Homestead just a short distance from the Brearley Homestead Burial Ground. (1/8 of a mile) children of Rachel & John Brearley found were; Arthur J., and Willis5. a. Arthur J. Brearley, born May 31, 1850 son of John & Rachel (Carle) Brearley married Oct. 27, 1872 to Frances A. Hover. The Town of Spencer, Tioga Co., NY Directory 1887-88 has the following listed; Arthur J. Brearley, road 43, brickmaker; This could be the A. Jerome Brearley found in 1892 age 42 a farmer living in the Town of Caroline, with wife Francis age 40, children: George W. age 19, Seth R., age 17, John C. age 7.6. Sarah Helene Carl, of Deanes Corners, Chen. Co. No other record found only mention of her in father's will.5. a. 1. George W. Brearley, born abt. 1873, son of Arthur J. & Frances A. (Hover) Brearley
5. a. 2. Seth R. Brearley, born abt. 1875, son of Arthur J. & Frances A. (Hover) Brearley
5. a. 3. John C. Brearley, born abt. 1885, son of Arthur J. & Frances A. (Hover) Brearley
5. b. Willis/Willie Brearley, born 1855 - 1932, son of John & Rachel (Carle) Brearley. William Brearley married Mary Filzinger in 1879 in the Town of Danby, Tompkins Co., NY. On the same monument in Smith Valley Cemetery, Tioga Co., NY as John & Rachel (Carle) Brearley [his parents] is listed W. J. Brearley 1855-1932 - Mary Filzinger 1851 -1901 (surname for Mary is very faded and spelling of name could be incorrect, another record shows the spelling as Felringer). The Town of Spencer, Tioga Co., NY Directory 1887-88 has the following listed;
Willie J. Brearley, road 43, laborer. Child - Grace5. b. 1. Grace Brearley born 1882 in Danby, NY, daughter of William & Mary (Filzinger) Brearley
7. Charlotte H. Carl, born abt. 1823 died 1849, married Chauncey Payne (Paine), they had a dau. Josephine Payne who was born about 1848. Charlotte is buried next to her parents on the old Carl homestead on Brearley Hill. Her headstone inscriptions reads as follows: Charlotte H. wife of Chancey Paine died July 21, 1849 aged 26 years 3 months & 28 days. Chauncey Payne born May 29, 1818 died March 12, 1874, son of James Paine & Polly Freeman. Child: Josephine Payne born abt. 1848.
7. a. Josephine Payne born about 1848. She was living in Town of Caroline with her father in 1850; In 1860 she was living in the household of Franklin and Emeline Paine, her uncle and aunt, and in 1870 she was living in Barton, Tioga Co., with her father Chauncey Paine. Chauncey had remarried to a women named Fanny, he had at least two other children by his 2nd wife.
8. Catherine Carl, married Mr. Jones, they had Chessey Cordelia Jones, and Eliz. Jones. Catherine had died before 1855.
Thank you Ruth Cordick (granddaughter of James Manley Allen) for you updates on this family.
Return to Genealogy Connect - Plus
© 2001-2011 Copyright by JanMarie
All Rights Reserved.
(Last updated Jan. 25, 2011)