Judson Dean, born Sept. 2, 1818 in Pennsylvania, died Dec. 8, 1895, was living in Danby, Tompkins Co., NY at the time of his death. He married Adah Robinson born April 20th 1822, dau. of Noah & Elinor (Gray) Robinson, died Sept. 12, 1892. 1860 he was living in Spencer, Tioga Co., Judson Dean age 42, Adah age 38, Jerome age 13, George age 11, Francis age 9 (female), Harriet age 5, Helen age 1/12. In 1870 they are still living in Spencer, Tioga Co., NY. Judson age 52, born in Penn., Addie age 48 born in NY, Harriet age 16, Ella age 11, Libbie age 7. 1892 Danby Census records, Judson Dean was 75 yrs. old, born in the US, and his wife was 71 yrs., old, born in US (LDS Records gives date of Marriage as 1843) Judson and Adah are both buried in Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Ithaca, Tompkins Co., NY.
Children (at time of Judson's death)
1. Jerome B. Dean born abt. 1845 in New York State. He married Philancia (_______), per 1870 Enfield census.
Jerome age 24 and his wife Philancia was age 26, no children listed. (per 1880 Enfield Census records) Philancia (_____) age 38; Elbert age 5; Jerome age 2; Sarah age 1.
Found in 1892 Newfield census; DEAN, Jerome - age 42; Burt - age 16; Donnie - age 14; Sarah - age 12.
a. Elbert "Bert" Dean, born abt. 1875
b. Donald "Donnie" Jerome Dean, born abt. 1878
(this may be the Don J. Dean buried in Inlet Valley Cemetery, Ithaca, NY 1878 - 1925)
c. Sarah Dean, born abt. 1879
2. George C. Dean, born abt. 1849, wife Amy (_____)
3. Laura A. Dean married (______) Shoemaker (this may be Francis age 9 in the 1860 Census, Spencer, Tioga Co., if not then they had another child that may have died young)
4. Harriet "Hattie" Dean, born abt. 1854, married (_______) West
5. Helen "Ella" Dean, born abt. 1860, married (_____) Twist (per Krach Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY., Ella Dean married Salem Twist, son of Alpheus Twist Jr. and Harriet Betsinger, born April 9, 1860. It is also listed in these records his first wife was Libbie Griffin. In 1900 they are living in Ithaca, Tompkins Co., NY., Salem is listed as age 40, born May 1860, Ella is listed at age 39, born July 1860, no children, married for 6 years.
Salem TWIST, 87, of 332 S. Cayuga St., a retired businessman, died Monday, Apr. 5, 1948, after a long illness. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Ella D. TWIST; a niece and a nephew. Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Wagner Funeral Home, 421 N. Aurora St., with the Rev. R. E. Charles, rector of St. John's Episcopal Church, officiating. Burial will be in the vault in Lake View Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home today.
6. Frank R. Dean born 1851 died Oct. 27, 1895, he married Sarah L. Campbell, born Aug. 10, 1853 died 1927. She was the dau. of Edward Campbell and Lucinda (Smoke). Frank & Sarah are buried in Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Ithaca, Tompkins Co., NY. Found living in Ithaca, 1880 census: Frank R. Dean age 29, Painter; Sarah age 26; Freddie age 2.
Two children have been found for Frank & Sarah Dean. Fred Dean born about 1878 and Harry C. Dean. No other information found at this time about Fred.
a. Freddie Dean, born born abt. 1878, died age 4 yrs., 1 mo., 10 dys. He is buried in Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Ithaca, Tompkins Co., NY next to his parents.
b. Harry C. Dean 1883-1979, he married first Mary M. Donahue 1886-1932 they had one child, Mary E. Dean. Mary M. , his wife is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Ithaca, NY. Harry C. Dean married 2nd Grace Jackson Green, his cousin. Harry and Grace are buried in Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Ithaca, NY. A little more about Harry. At age 14 Harry quit school to help his widowed mother. He was an only child. At the turn of the century, he worked for the Ithaca Calendar Clock Company for many years. He retired from Morse Chain Co. at the age of 65, he then opened a clock repair shop in his home. He repaired clocks from all over the world. He also was in a role in one of the Pearl White movies. It was just in a mop scene and he couldn't remember the name of the movie, but how many people can say they were in a motion picture. He lived in Ithaca, New York.
1. Mary E. Dean born 1909 died 1824, buried in Calvary Cemetery, Ithaca, NY.
7. Elizabeth "Libbie" Dean, born abt. 1863, married Frank J. Wright. In Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Ithaca, NY found buried next to Judson and Adah is a Elizabeth D. Wright 1864 - 1948 Her husband was Frank J. Wright 1861 - 1929 with a child Ethel, their daughter, no dates. In 1900 Ithaca Census; Frank J. Wright b. Mar. 1861 age 39; Elizabeth born April 1863 age 36, they had been married for 14 years; a daughter Vera Wright born June 1892 age 6 was the only child listed.
Source of this information: Papers dated Jan. 6, 1896, from Elizabeth Wright against Jerome B., Harry, George C., Amy, Sarah, Laura A. Shoemaker, Hattie West, Ella Twist, Daniel W. Burdick.
Papers were in the possession of Harry Dean, son of Frank R. Dean and Sarah L. Campbell.
Other information was gathered by headstone inscriptions, census, and deeds.
Return to Genealogy Connect - Plus
Copyright by JanMarie
All Rights Reserved