died November 16, 1865 age 79 yrs., 11 mo. It seems he lived in
Tompkins Co., NY before coming to the Town of Caroline. He
married Mary Carl born abt. 1788 died May 12, 1870 age 82
I believe she was a sister to William Carl that lived in the same area
on Brearley Hill, Town of Caroline, NY.
Both John and Mary Sullivan are buried in Central Chapel Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY.
Children: May be more: Ann, David, William, James C., Sarah D., Julia, Samuel
1. Amanda Hamilton, dau. of Joseph & Ann Elizabeth (Sullivan) Hamilton, b: 23 NOV 1841 d. June 19, 1889. Married. June 22, 1862 David B. McWhorter born Oct. 25, 1832.
Children:1. Isabelle McWhorter
2. DeForest McWhorter2. Andrew Hamilton, son of Joseph & Ann Elizabeth (Sullivan) Hamilton, b. Feb. 3, 1845, married March 5, 1872 to Nelly Miller. Married 2nd to Kate Boyce.
3. Clement Jay Hamilton, son of Joseph & Ann Elizabeth (Sullivan) Hamilton, b. May 1, 1852 in Caroline, Tompkins County, NY, died March 20, 1913 age 60 yrs old - Suicide
At the time of his marriage he was listed as being a farmer. born in Brooktondale, Tompkins Co., NY. age 53 years old at time of his marriage.
married June 1, 1905 to Frances E. Freer 1845 - 1926 - she was born in Slaterville, Town of Caroline, Tompkins Co., NY, daughter of Peter 0. & Betsey (Stevens) Freer. Francis was age 60 at the time of her marriage to Clement.
Clement & Frances are buried in Charles Mulks Cemetery, Slaterville Springs, Tompkins Co., NY.
4. Anna Eliza Hamilton, dau. of Joseph & Ann Elizabeth (Sullivan) Hamilton, b. Feb. 11, 1856 in Slaterville Springs,NY. Died Jan. 29, 1940 Buried in Lake View Cemetery Ithaca, NY. Married Sept. 22, 1886 by the Rev. Place at Central Chapel, Town of Caroline, NY to Theodore Dwight Tryon, born Aug. 27, 1847 in Litchfield, Ct.
Children1. Mabelle Electa Tryon b. May 26, 1888 in Caroline, Tompkins County, NY, died Aug. 1972 , buried Lake View Cemetery, Ithaca, NY. Married June 29, 1909 to Berton N. Middaugh born June 6, 1880
2. Beatrice Amanda Tryon b. Dec. 10, 1889 in Slaterville Springs, NY. Died Dec. 4, 1973, buried Lake View Cemetery, Ithaca, NY. Married Francis Chauncey Smith, born Oct. 22, 1886 in Orange City, IA.
Children1. Theodore Smith
2. Frances Smith
Sullivan, Mary J., wife of David Sullivan, died May 30, 1867, age 50 yrs., 8 mos., 3 dys
"She is gone, our mother dear,
Why should we mourn or shed a tear?
She's free from trouble, grief and pain.
Why should we wish her back again?"
Sullivan, Lucinda T., his wife, died Feb. 22, 1897 age 72 yrs.
Pastor's handbook, list of marriages - Feb. 7, 1887 David Sullivan of Caroline, Tompkins Co., NY married Lucinda T. Knapp of Ithaca, NY. Wit: Louisa A. Wood & Mary D. Dusenbery.
Sullivan, Sarah M., wife of David Sullivan, died May 9, 1882 age 65 yrs.
"One less to love on earth,
One more to meet in heaven."
David C. and Mary had the following children: Abram C., Mary, Charles W.
a. Abram C. Sullivan
b. Mary A. Sullivan, married Mr Iwan and lived in Union City
c. Charles W. Sullivan was born in the town of Caroline, April 18, 1852. David, the father of our subject, was also a native of the county, born in the town of Lansing, October 6, 1812. He was a contractor and farmer, and was only a child when his parents moved into the town of Caroline. David was the father of three children; Abram C., of Union City, Michigan, Mrs. Mary A. IWAN, of Union City, and Charles, our subject. David C. died June 10, 1891. With the exception of one year spent in Michigan, he has always been a resident of the county. He was educated in the common schools of his native town, and as soon as he was old enough began working. In 1872 he moved to Ithaca, where, for fifteen years, he has been engaged in various wood working establishments and as a carpenter. In 1877 he took his first contract, and since that time has erected sixteen of the finest residences of the city, many of them from his own designs. He also does repair work. Mr. SULLIVAN is reporter of the Knights of Honor of this city, a position he has held for nine years, and is a mem-ber of the Knights of Pythias. His beautiful residence, at 85 Cascadilla Street, was erected in 1874 from his own design. September 28, 1871, he married Susie N. NORWOOD, of Caroline, and they have two children, Edward C. and Flora B.
1860 Caroline Census:
William Sullivan age 33
Susanna Sullivan age 30
Elnora age 3
Children1. Elnora J. Sullivan, daughter of William & Susanna (Scott) Sullivan,
born 1857 died 1940 married George I. Teeter, son of Andrew Jackson & Mary E. (Nixon) Teeter,
born abt. 1855 died 1939
children 2 boys, 1 girl - Zibbie, Andrew, and George1. Zibbie S. Teeter, daughter of George & Elnora (Sullivan) Teeter
1882-1943, married Nelson F. Hopper, son of Andrew P. & Orvilla (Peckham) Hopper,1874 - ?
Children, Elnora H., Nelson B.1. Elnora H. Hopper, daughter of Nelson & Libbe (Teeter) Hopper2. Andrew Teeter, son of George & Elnora (Sullivan) Teeter, born 1883 - died ?
born 1910, Married Chas. P. Mead - no children
2. Nelson B. Hopper, son of Nelson & Zibbe (Teeter) Hopper
born 1916, Married Esther Mandeville
Three sons:1. Peter Hopper, son of Nelson & Esther (Mandeville) Hopper
2. Malcom Hopper, son of Nelson & Esther (Mandeville) Hopper
3. Male Hopper, son of Nelson & Esther (Mandeville) Hopper
3. George Scott Teeter, son of George & Elnora (Sullivan) Teeter 1887-1962
Had a daughter Alberta Teeter.
2. Alice Sullivan, daughter of William & Susanna (Scott) Sullivan,
born 1862, married Mr. Spaulding, children 2 girls, Rena, Ona1.. Rena Spaulding, daughter of Mr & Alice (Sullivan) Spaulding,
married a Mr. Haight, and had at least one child, a son named Alton Haight.44. Alton Haight, son of Rena Spaulding Haight.2. Ona Spaulding, daughter of Mr. & Alice (Sullivan) Spaulding
3. Zibbie S. Sullivan, daughter of William & Susanna (Scott) Sullivan,
born 1865 married Mr. Spaulding, children, 2 boys, 2 girls.47. Son, son of Mr. & Libbie (Sullivan) Spaulding4. Mary E. Sullivan, daughter of William & Susanna (Scott) Sullivan,
48. Son, son of Mr. & Libbie (Sullivan) Spaulding
49. Daughter, daughter of Mr. & Libbie (Sullivan) Spaulding
50. Daughter, daughter of Mr. & Libbie (Sullivan) Spaulding
born 1870, married Ward Mosher, he was a Meth. Minister.
5. Sarah D. Sullivan married Evert W. Fuller
Julia Sullivan, born abt. 1830, married Andrew Jackson
(Julia Haddock is buried in
Central Chapel Cemetery next to the Sullivan
burials, head stone inscription:
of A. J. Haddock, died Sept. 1, 1867
age 37 years
buried next to her is Elida J., daughter of A. J. & Julia Haddock, died Oct. 26, 1877 age 15 yrs., 10 mos.
2000 - 2005 Copyright by JanMarie
All Rights Reserved.